This weekend, cold though it was, the sky desisted in dropping precipitation, so out we went to work in the yard. Scott attacked shrubs and trees with pruning shears and I placed nest boxes in the chicken coop. The chickens won’t lay eggs for another month or more, but we wanted the nest boxes to be familiar by the time they do lay eggs – with the hope that they will use them!!
I built the boxes in the garage in November from scrap lumber. Following advice in the wealth of chicken literature, I made them 12″ deep and wide and 14″ tall with a 3″ lip, and I placed them 18″ off the coop floor. I decided to make the boxes easily accessible from the outside by jutting them out and sloping the lid.
Off came the back paneling of the coop, in went supports to cantilever the boxes beyond the coop frame. Boxes went in after some chiseling to mediate for the coop not being perfectly square (…hey, I’m not a professional). New paneling cut to fit, and she looked pretty good!